Monday, May 31, 2010

Menu Plan Monday--Food Prep

One of the things that has been a lifesaver for me in making menu planning successful is having a food prep day. Every Thursday I take some time in the afternoon to prep some items that will make meal preparation easier later. I shop on Wednesdays so that means the day after I shop, I go through and chop fruits and veggies, grate cheese, make up salad mix, etc. That way when when my kids want a quick snack, it is all ready to go. And when it is time to make dinner, half the work is already done. On the weeks that I don't shop I will spend the time making up some things that will make meal prep go faster on other days. Making up muffin mix, pancake mix, pie and pizza crusts to throw in the freezer, or making up snack items like granola or trail mix. This time is well invested when I am able to reap the benefits of my labor for weeks to come. Here is this week's menu with notes indicating where I prepped ingredients ahead of time.

Menu Plan 5/31-6/6

Monday:
breakfast~yogurt with homemade granola (granola made on prep day)
lunch~beef and bean chili verde
dinner~ravioli and Caesar salad

Tuesday:
breakfast~mini quiche (made on food prep day and frozen)
lunch~leftovers
dinner~garlic lime chicken, rice, corn, tortillas

Wednesday:
breakfast~cinnamon muffins (using muffin mix made on food prep day)
lunch~picnic
dinner~pork chops with potato stars

Thursday:
breakfast~peanut butter toast
lunch~pasta
dinner~salsa steaks

Friday:
breakfast~blueberry danish
lunch~nachos
dinner~meat lovers pizza (using pizza crusts made on food prep day and frozen, and cheese grated on food prep day)

Saturday:
breakfast~waffles (using pancake mix made on food prep day)
lunch~chef salad (using salad mix and hard boiled eggs made on food prep day)
dinner~tuna casserole

Sunday:
breakfast~cereal
lunch~go out
dinner~fried chicken, potato salad


© 2010-2011 Day to Day Cook - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment