Friday, March 19, 2010

White Sauce

You will see me reference white sauce in SO many of my recipes. My Betty Crocker 1961 cookbook says that basic white sauce is essential to master for a good cook, and I couldn't agree more. I used to hate when I found recipes that call for a can of "cream of whatever" soup, but now I just substitute one batch of this super simple, more natural, healthier, much more frugal sauce. It is so versatile, you can add any flavor you want. And you can play with the amount of milk to make it thicker or thinner. As you will see in many future posts, basic white sauce is the base for many delicious meals.

White Sauce

Thin: 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 c. milk
Medium: 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 c. milk
Thick: 4 tbsp (1/4 c.) butter, 4 tbsp (1/4 c.) flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 c. milk

Melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan. Use a wooden spoon for stirring. Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly (less than a minute). Remove from heat, stir in milk. Return to heat--increase heat to medium--and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min.

Makes one cup. Easily multiplied.

*recipe source: Betty Crocker 1961 cookbook


© 2010-2011 Day to Day Cook - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment