Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stuffing

Stuffing is one of my favorite side dishes, and it is SO easy (and cheap!) to make homemade. After you see how easy and yummy this is, you will never buy Stove Top again!

Melt half a stick of butter or margarine in a large skillet. Stir in 1-2 cloves pressed garlic and 2 cups chopped bread cubes.
*what I do is every time I use up a loaf of bread and all that is left is the two end pieces, I put those in the freezer. Then when I have a big bag of them, I use them for stuffing.
Heat, stirring occasionally, so that all the pieces get nicely browned. Pour into a large bowl and add 2 more cups bread cubes, 1/2 c finely chopped celery, some salt and pepper, and poultry seasoning (if you don't have poultry seasoning marjoram works nicely). Drizzle a small amount of broth or warm water over the top and stir gently. Continue to add liquid until it is as moist as you like it.
You can either use it to stuff a chicken, or bake on it's own (covered) at 350 for about 20 mins.

*recipe source: Betty Crocker 1961 Cookbook


© 2010-2011 Day to Day Cook - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment