Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade French Fries

One night when I was serving something that I normally would serve with a bag of frozen french fries, I realized that we didn't have any! Let me tell you, one good thing about only having one vehicle for the family (which was at work with my husband and not available to me) is that it forces you to make do with what you have! So, sure enough, I thought, "I can make homemade french fries. After all, it's just potatoes, oil and salt." And not only were they easy, they were GOOD! You could, like, actually taste the potato flavor! They were so good I may never buy frozen ones or go through the drive thru again. (Aw, who are we kidding, sometimes you just gotta go for the golden arches!)

ANYWAY, here is how super easy it is to make them.

Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil over med-high heat in a skillet. (If you have a deep fryer, good for you) Wash, peel, and cut potatoes in strips (cut in half horizontally, then vertically, then cut each fourth into matchstick like pieces) The smaller the pieces the faster they will cook. Dump potato pieces into the hot oil. Cook, moving the pieces around the pan occasionally, until golden brown. Make sure to watch for smaller pieces cooking faster. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs onto a paper towel lined plate to drain. Salt generously before serving.


© 2010-2011 Day to Day Cook - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment