Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kabobs




BBQ Season is among us, well at least for you 4 seasons people. Here in So Cal, we can BBQ all year long. Sorry, please don't hate me. But, we still do most of our grilling from Memorial Day through Labor Day and these kabobs were the perfect way to kick off the outdoor cooking season!

You will need:
A beef steak-I used a top sirloin roast. You can use any tender cut beef you want. You are just going to cube it up anyway. Get whatever is in those Memorial Day sales!
Assorted vegetables-I used zucchini, Asian eggplant, tomato, and assorted peppers (the more colors the better!)
Pineapple
Wooden or metal skewers

First, rub your meat with some paprika, ginger, fresh finely chopped garlic, and salt and pepper. You should know by now that I don't measure when I do this kind of stuff. Just eye ball it.

Chop up all your veggies (don't forget to seed the tomato and peppers) and the pineapple into pieces as close to neat little squares as you can. Place them all in a bowl and splash a little soy sauce on top, as well as some more fresh garlic, sugar and more salt and pepper. Let both the meat and veggies sit and marinate for about 30 minutes.

Now, start kabobbing! Start placing all the items on the skewers, alternating between meat, veggies and pineapple. You can try to be all precise, making sure you get one of everything on each stick, in a nice little pattern; or you can just throw them all on haphazardly like yours truly. Don't sweat it, just have fun with it. As you get them all prepared, place them on a nice big platter for your hubby to take out to the grill. Or I guess if you're a real renaissance girl, you could do it yourself, but in my home, we leave the grilling to my husband, who I would dare say would have a good chance of winning Best in Smoke. Once all your kabobs are assembled throw the rest of the liquid that is left in the bowl over the top of the whole plate.
Okay, right about now, you might be freaking out because I didn't give you precise measurements for those veggies and meat and after all those sticks you might have something leftover. If you do, great! Toss them into a stir fry or Asian salad. YUM! But, for your piece of mind, for a rough estimate, I had 2 1/2 pounds of meat, half of an asian eggplant, half a zucchini, a whole tomato, half of each yellow, red, and green peppers, and about a cup of pineapple pieces. This made 17 skewers, which was plenty for my family, served with rice. I only ended up with a little extra meat, which I made into an all meat kabob for my carnivorous 9 year old.

Once your BBQ is heated to medium high heat, place them on the grill and heat 20-25 minutes, turning and rotating with your long BBQ tongs as needed. Or just let your hubby do it if he is a master at the grill like mine :)


© 2010-2011 Day to Day Cook - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment